Monday, May 1, 2017

Hormel No Salt Added Canned Chicken Breast

NSA Canned Chicken Breast
I read about this product on a couple of low sodium Facebook groups and was curious. I managed to find it at my local Safeway, in the section with canned tuna. So I bought a couple of cans just to experiment with. I wanted to see if it would be worth keeping a few cans on hand “just in case.”

Only 80 mg sodium per 2 oz serving
The first thing I made was chicken salad. Nothing really special. Just the drained chicken chunks mixed with mayo, freeze-dried chives, celery seed, and some NSA curry powder. I added a bit of broth from the can, so I didn’t need to overdo the mayonnaise. And I added a tablespoon of whipped cream cheese to give a creamier texture. Served with super low sodium whole wheat matzos, it was a pretty easy and good tasting lunch. So, the next time I was at Safeway, I bought a few more cans.

Chicken Salad Spread with WW Matzos
It didn’t take long before I had one of those “just in case” days. I had been busy with all kinds of errands and didn’t plan ahead for dinner. Then, all of a sudden, I realized it was 5:00 p.m. What to do? I didn’t have enough time to thaw anything from the freezer, and I didn’t have the energy to go shopping. Then I remembered I had canned chicken, my homemade “Stove Top” stuffing, and NSA chicken broth in the pantry. A perfect solution! Chicken in gravy served over stuffing. So that’s what I made. It all came together quickly and produced a tasty meal.

Chicken in Gravy with Homemade Stuffing
What’s the verdict? Well, let me be frank. The canned chicken is not as good home cooked real chicken breasts. That’s why I like to roast or poach several at a time and freeze for later. That said, it’s fine for those times when you need some extra help. Those days happen, even to the best of us. I like the idea of being able to quickly pull low sodium meals from my pantry, and the canned chicken will be a welcome addition.

No comments: