Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Stove Top Stuffing Copy Cat


Roast Chicken Dinner with Stove Top Stuffing Clone

In my last post I described making King Arthur Flour's Thanksgiving Stuffing Bread. I adapted the recipe for low sodium and baked it in my bread machine. Although the bread was tasty all on its own, I specifically made it to use in a homemade, copycat recipe for Stove Top Stuffing. I wanted to try the recipe on Todd Wilbur’s site, Top Secret Recipes.

The Stove Top Stuffing clone  was not only easy to prepare but quite tasty. Once the bread was baked and cooled, I cut it into 1/4 inch cubes, and toasted them in the oven. I now have enough toasted cubes for at least 2 more recipes' worth of copycat Stove Top. I served it as a side dish with roasted chicken seasoned with Penzeys “Mural of Flavor” and Trader Joe's Cranberry/Orange relish.

Bag of Stuffing Cubes

I’m really happy about this quick but tasty side dish. And it’s low sodium! I can see myself using it for a lot of future roast chicken and pork chop dinners.

Stove Top Copycat
Adapted from Todd Wilbur’s Top Secret Recipes:

2⅔ cups dried, toasted lower sodium bread crumbs* (I used ¼ inch cubes of lower sodium Stuffing Bread)
2-3 NSA chicken bouillon packets (I used Herb-Ox)
2 tsp dried celery flakes (I use McCormick’s)
2 tsp dried, minced onions
2 tsp dried parsley
1¼ - 1⅔ water (The original recipe called for the larger amount of liquid, but I think it’s too much; start with 1¼ and add water as needed)
2 - 4 tbsp butter
Optional: Add 1 - 2 tsp of favorite poultry seasoning blend or herbs

Combine dried herbs, water, and butter in saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.

Stir in crumbs/cubes, cover, and remove from heat. Let stand 5-7 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving.

Serves 6.

*Todd Wilbur suggests stacking bread slices on top of each other and squishing down to create dense bread cubes that will not become soggy during cooking. Cut into smallish dice. Place crumbs/cubes in baking pan, and bake at 250 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes until completely dry and slightly toasted.




No comments: