Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Thanksgiving Stuffing Loaf

Cutting Slices & Cubes for Stuffing

A couple of days ago I made stuffing bread from a KAF recipe that I adapted to low sodium. It's got all the flavors of stuffing in a loaf. It can then be used for any kind of bread stuffing – turkey, chicken, pork, vegetables – you name it. It’s such a tasty bread that it could also be used for croutons, casserole toppings, and even sandwiches. I baked it in my bread machine because it was going to be cut up, so it didn't matter if it ended up ugly or lopsided.

Once it was baked and cooled, I cut it into 1/4 inch cubes, toasted them in the oven, and used them for a homemade, low sodium version of Stove Top Stuffing. The entire process –  baking the bread, dicing it, and toasting the cubes – was really easy.
The copycat Stove Top Stuffing was also easy and quite tasty. I've got enough toasted cubes for at least 2 more recipes' worth of copycat Stove Top. It made a nice side dish served with roasted chicken seasoned with Penzeys “Mural of Flavor” and Trader Joe's Cranberry/Orange relish. Click HERE to read the post about the stuffing mix clone.

Roast Chicken Dinner with Stove Top Stuffing Clone

Thanksgiving Stuffing Loaf

2 tsp instant yeast (I used 1 tsp yeast)
1 tbsp sugar
(I used ¾ tsp regular salt)
½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp poultry seasoning or favorite combo of thyme, sage, rosemary, etc. (I used 1 tsp Bell’s & 1 tsp Litehouse Poultry Blend)
½ cup cornmeal (I used Bob’s Red Mill, fine grind; next time I’ll try semolina flour)
1 large egg
½ cup finely diced onion (I used 1½ tbsp dried, minced onion)
3 tbsp butter or vegetable oil
¾ cup lukewarm water
(I used ½ tsp celery seeds)

Directions: (I used my bread machine and followed its basic directions)
  1. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl, and mix and knead to make a supple dough.
  2. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl or large (8-cup) measuring cup, cover it, and let it rise until it's doubled in size, about 1½ to 2 hours.
  3. Gently deflate the dough, and shape it into an 8" log. Place it in a lightly greased 8 ½" x 4 ½" loaf pan.
  4. Cover the pan, and allow the bread to rise for about an hour, until it's crowned about 1" over the rim of the pan. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
  5. Uncover the bread, and bake it for 35 to 40 minutes, tenting it lightly with foil after 20 minutes if it appears to be browning too quickly. When the bread is done, it'll be golden brown, and its internal temperature will register at least 190°F on an instant-read thermometer.
  6. Remove the bread from the oven, and after a minute or so gently loosen the edges, and turn it out onto a rack to cool.
  7. Cool completely before wrapping airtight for storage. Store for 4 to 5 days at room temperature; wrap tightly and freeze for longer storage.
  8. Yield: 1 loaf.




No comments: