Monday, November 4, 2013

PUMPKIN MUFFINS

I made a new recipe recently – Pumpkin Muffins from the Joy of Baking site. They should actually be called Pumpkin BRAN Muffins because the recipe includes 3/4 cup of wheat bran. In fact, that's why I made them. I'm always on the lookout for good tasting bran muffin recipes, and this one's a real winner.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin - with Bran

I followed the recipe but made a few changes to make it low sodium friendly. I used no-sodium baking powder and omitted the salt altogether. I used regular baking soda but using a low sodium version is always a good option. I added 1/4 tsp. of powdered ginger to the cinnamon, but if you really like ginger, you could add a some fresh grated ginger too. The overall flavor is subtle, so you might want to increase the spice quantity or use pumpkin pie spice blend.

I used Knudsen buttermilk because it’s much lower in sodium than other brands (130 mg sodium/cup). However, if I hadn’t had it on hand, I would have used buttermilk powder (Bob’s Red Mill – 80 mg/ prepared cup) and water. Greek yogurt is too thick on its own but could be used if thinned down with some water. I usually substitute applesauce for half of the oil called for in quick breads. But, this time, since I was dealing with pumpkin puree, I used it instead. I also subbed mini dark chocolate chips for the dried fruit and used only 2/3 cup. And, finally, I added a cube of cream cheese to the muffin just because I love biting into a chunk of cream cheese.
Everything's better with chocolate chips and a chunk of cream cheese!

My husband loved these muffins. I made jumbo size and froze them for his breakfasts. (He usually wakes up 2 hours before me, so I like to have a variety of breakfast type things in the freezer for him.) These were really good, and I know I'll be making them again and again. And I also know I'll always use chocolate chips.

PUMPKIN MUFFINS
Adapted from Joy of Baking
(Printable Recipe)

1 cup canned pumpkin puree
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt (thin Greek style yogurt)
1/2 cup oil (I used 1/4 cup oil & 1/4 cup extra pumpkin)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
3/4 cup natural wheat bran
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon low sodium baking powder (Featherweight)
1 teaspoon baking soda (use low sodium version)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I added 1/4 tsp ginger)
1 cup raisins or dried cranberries (I used 2/3 cups mini chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place rack in the middle of the oven. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or spray with a non stick vegetable spray.

In a medium sized bowl mix together the pumpkin puree, eggs, buttermilk, and oil. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, bran, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add the milk and egg mixture to the flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Fold in the raisins. Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough when baked.

Fill the muffin cups with the batter using two spoons or an ice cream scoop. Place in the oven and bake for about 18 - 20 minutes, or until firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool.

Makes 12 regular-sized muffins. (I made 6 jumbo size)







1 comment:

Jenny said...

Shambo! These look amazing and good for you, too! Will have to try.