Friday, May 2, 2008

Broccoli Salad

I recently discovered a store brand bacon, Raleys/Bel Air Fine Meats Lower Sodium Premium Sliced Bacon. One strip has 130 mg. sodium, supposedly 33% less sodium than regular bacon. I used this bacon last week making a broccoli salad. I can get even  lower sodium bacon at Safeway, but I don't shop there as often. So finding it at my favorite store was pretty exciting for me. Bacon adds such a special flavor to so many dishes, but is prohibitively high in sodium. I've found by using the lower sodium bacon & using less than I would normally, I can make great tasting and still acceptable dishes.

Broccoli Salad
(Printable Recipe)

2 bunches fresh broccoli
4 slices low sodium bacon, cooked & crumbled (Most recipes call for 10 slices regular bacon)
1/2 cup raisins, golden or dark
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup unsalted & roasted sunflower seeds, or other nut/seed
1 cup mayonnaise (Homemade or store bought. You could also use half mayo & half sour cream)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar

Wash & cut broccoli into bite-size pieces. (Optional: Steam them for 2 minutes over boiling water. Rinse thoroughly in cold water and drain well.) Combine broccoli, bacon, raisins, onion, & sunflower seeds in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix sugar & vinegar. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved, and then mix in mayonnaise. Pour dressing over salad and toss. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving, tossing occasionally.

3 comments:

OhioMom said...

I have been buying the low-sodium bacon for years here, I think the taste is better.

Great finds !!

Unknown said...

If you live near a Costco, shop for bacon there! Usually one serving of their low sodium bacon is around 150mg.

shambo said...

Amber, you're so right. I don't always make a trip to Costco but in the past I have purchased their 3-pack low sodium bacon. It's pretty good tasting. Nothing perks up dull dishes like a little bit of crumbled bacon.