Monday, March 17, 2008

St. Patrick's Day Corned Beef

So, I'm not Irish! I still love corned beef. And it's been over two years since I've fixed any kind of corned beef, pastrami, or ham. Way too much salt! But I wondered... Could I come up with a way to reduce the sodium content of corned beef so we could enjoy an old fashioned corned beef & cabbage dinner? Just once a year!


I decided to give it a try, and headed out to my local grocery store where I bought a small corned beef. Once home, I rinsed it well, set aside the seasoning packet (just crushed spices -- no salt added), put the beef in a bowl of water, and stuck it in my fridge. I let it soak for two days, changing the water 2-3 times each day. Before cooking it, I rinsed it once again & put it in a pot with fresh water along with the reserved seasonings. I let it simmer on the stove until fork tender. I braised the cabbage in a combination of half corned beef cooking liquid & half water.

The end result was a a mildly flavored corned beef that was a whole lot less salty than the regular stuff. I was quite pleased, and it was a super special treat for my husband. We had enough left over for sandwiches the next day. Of course, I won't be doing this often, probably just once a year.

No comments: