Saturday, January 28, 2017

The Easiest Waffles Ever!



My husband was running low on breakfast stuff. I usually keep a stash of muffins, scones, waffles, etc. in the freezer so he can feed himself in the morning. That’s because he’s usually awake a couple hours before I finally crawl out of bed.

Anyhow, I knew I needed to make some sort of breakfasty thing, but I wasn’t in the mood to fuss. Didn’t want to bother with muffin batter and scoops. Same with rolling out scones and cutting them. Waffles are easy, but I didn’t even want to mess around with my favorite recipe. While I was trying to come up with a solution, I had to get something out of the fridge. I saw something perched on a shelf, and suddenly an answer came! I knew what to do! It would be waffles, but they’d be super easy to make. Why? Because I would use my homemade baking mix (similar to Bisquick). Click HERE for the baking mix recipe.

I grabbed my decades old and terribly stained Bisquick book and found  a recipe for basic waffles. In no time at all, I had  waffle batter ready to go. I ended up making 7 squares along with a weirdo one that used up the last of the batter. My husband and I just had to test it. To my utter delight, it was every bit as good as my regular recipe. But a whole lot easier and quicker.


The homemade baking mix is a real time saver. Not only for waffles. I use it for my favorite summer treat ‒ zucchini fritters. It’s also good for corn fritters, all sorts of “impossible” pies, quick breads, drop biscuits, and more. I just follow Bisquick recipes and use it instead. I love its convenience but also like the fact that I make it with healthful ingredients and can control the salt content. If you haven’t tried making your own, I encourage you to do so. You won’t regret it.

Easy Basic Waffles (Baking Mix)
Adapted from 1967 “So Quick with New Bisquick”

2 tbsp oil
1⅓ cup milk
1 egg

Blend all ingredients until smooth. Pour batter onto waffle iron. Bake until steaming stops. Lift off waffle carefully.


1 comment:

Cindy said...

I just made these for my dad. He is very grateful! Thank you. Cindy