I stopped by Whole Foods yesterday on the way back from a family get together and came home with a few products recommended by members of the Low Sodium Cooking Facebook group. Whole Foods is about a 35 minute drive from my home, and, as a result, I don’t shop there often. Plus I’m fortunate to have four well-stocked supermarkets and a natural foods store nearby, so I’m able to find quite a lot of low sodium products locally.
I didn’t do a careful investigation of each aisle. Instead, I mainly looked for items that I can not find easily at my local grocery stores. And I picked up a few things from my regular shopping list. I'm in Northern CA, so the Whole Foods products from my closest store may differ from what's available elsewhere.
I was particularly pleased to find 3 varieties of frozen NSA french fries ‒ crinkle cut, shoestring, and steak cut. Not necessarily something I’d use every day but great for gussying up a ho-hum sandwich lunch. The sweet pickle relish was almost 50% lower in sodium than other famous name brands. The 365 mayo is quite low too, as is the store brand fresh mozzarella. I was surprised to find 365 NSA almond and cashew butter. I already knew about the Kerrygold butter spread and needed to pick up some more. I didn’t get a bag of the NSA white tortilla chips because I’m still working on one from Trader Joe’s. I wanted to try the sweet white miso. It’s the lowest in sodium I’ve ever seen. I’m able to get Spicely products locally (they have a huge selection of NSA spice blends), but I couldn’t pass up buying a couple of extra packages of the breakfast sausage blend.
All in all, I was happy with the results of my shopping trip. The Whole Foods market is not too far from the Trader Joe’s I shop at, so I figure I’ll hit both stores about every two months. The more I visit Whole Foods, the more new low sodium products I’ll discover. I'm sure there are lots more to find. What are your favorites?
Here’s what I found yesterday:
- 365 Organic Sweet Relish: 65 mg sodium/Tbsp (between 120 - 140 for brand name versions)
- 365 Cashew Butter, Creamy: NSA
- 365 Almond Butter, Creamy: NSA
- 365 Mayonnaise: 40 mg sodium/Tbsp
- 365 Organic Shoestring French Fries: NSA
- 365 Organic Steak Cut French Fries: NSA
- 365 Organic Crinkle Cut French Fries: NSA
- 365 White Corn Restaurant Style Tortilla Chips: NSA (not pictured)
- Whole Foods Fresh Mozzarella: 55 mg sodium/oz (not pictured)
- Kerrygold Reduced Fat Irish Butter - 50% less Sodium: 45 mg sodium/Tbsp
- Miso Master Organic Sweet White Less-Sodium Miso: 135 mg sodium/Tbsp (lowest sodium I’ve found so far)
- Spicely Organic Breakfast Sausage Seasoning Blend: NSA