Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Blueberry Crisp

Grandma's Blueberry Crisp
I’m not much of a dessert person, but I somehow ended up with two boxes of fresh blueberries that needed to be used up. My all time favorite blueberry dessert is a simple yet delicious blueberry crisp recipe I got from a pal on GardenWeb’s Cooking Forum – Grandma’s Blueberry Crisp. The thing I really like about this recipe is that it doesn’t fuss with thickeners or sweeteners for the fruit. The “crisp” topping provides enough sweetness.

For something so easy to put together, the result is outstanding. And quantities do not have to be exact. A little more fruit, and all is well. A little less sugar, still good. Change the fruit, no problem. In fact, a few days later, I made an apricot crisp, combining some drained canned apricots with some Trader Joe’s semi-dried/frozen apricots.  

The recipe makes an 8 x 8 pan but is easily doubled. I usually double the topping (we like a thick layer) and keep what I haven’t used in the fridge or freezer for other applications like baked apples. So, thanks to Annie and her Grandmother.

Ready to Serve


Grandma's Blueberry Crisp
Annie from Garden Web's Cooking Forum
(Printable Recipe)

3 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen, unsweetened
2 tbsp lemon juice
⅔ cup brown sugar (I’ve used less successfully)
½ cup flour (I use white whole wheat)
½ cup quick oats (I use old fashioned rolled oats)
⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened (I often just melt the butter)
¾ tsp cinnamon (I often use cardamom)

Heat oven to 375. Arrange berries in ungreased square baking dish (8 inch) and sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine remaining ingredients until crumbly. Crumble topping over berries, and bake until topping is lightly browned and berries are hot, about 30 minutes. Makes 4-6 servings.

No comments: