Sunday, August 14, 2016

Bratwurst Burgers

Bratwurst Burger
A while ago I read an online discussion about Johnsonville Bratwurst Grillers, patties of bratwurst sausage. All of the comments were positive, extolling the convenience and taste. I remember thinking at the time, “What an interesting idea.” And, as often happens, I promptly forgot about it.  Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. I was searching online for something – I can’t remember what – and came across a recipe on the Swift Premium Pork website for a homemade version of bratwurst burgers. I realized I had all the ingredients on hand and that it was easily adapted to low sodium. So I figured I’d give it a try. Boy, am I glad I did. The brats burgers were delicious!
Broiling
Making them was easy as can be, and the end result was outstanding. It truly satisfied my husband's sausage craving. I used ground pork purchased from a local butcher shop and broiled them in my toaster oven because it was way too hot outside. I’m sure they’d be even better grilled.
Seasonings
The recipe calls for a bit of cream mixed into the ground pork. That seemed to keep the burgers soft and moist. It also called for 2 teaspoons of sugar, but I think 1 teaspoon would suffice. I followed the recipe except for omitting the salt. Later, after eating our first batch, I looked up some bratwurst recipes online. Some called for the addition of either celery or caraway seeds. That might be an option if you like those flavors. The same with adding some dry mustard. Also, many recipes stipulated mace instead of nutmeg. I plan to try that next time.
Shaping
I put together the brats mixture about 1 hour before cooking the first batch. I shaped all four patties at the same time using a handy gizmo from my local grocery store. The first burgers were very tasty, but the 2nd batch, that had been in the fridge overnight, were great. The spices had melded together perfectly. Served on homemade low sodium buns, with salt free mustard and dill pickles from Healthy Heart Market, and unsalted potato chips or pretzels, the brat burgers were a perfect summer (or winter, fall, or spring) meal.
With NSA Pickle & Potato Chips
Bratwurst Burgers
Adapted from Swift Premium

1 pound ground pork
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoons ground nutmeg or mace
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground sage
½ teaspoon ground marjoram
½ teaspoon dry mustard (optional)
¼ - ½ teaspoon celery or caraway seeds (optional)

Directions:
Stir together cream, sugar, nutmeg/mace, coriander, onion powder, pepper, ginger, sage, marjoram, seeds and dry mustard (if using). Pour over ground pork in large bowl and mix (I use disposable vinyl gloves for mixing and shaping). Form mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.

Cook patties, uncovered, for about 12 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted near centers reads 160°F, turning patties over halfway through cooking.




No comments: