Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Hodgson Mill Insta-Bake: A Whole Grain Biscuit Mix

Sometimes I need help and inspiration, especially if the day has gotten away from me. I always keep a box of Hodgson Mill Insta-Bake (1/3 c. dry = 270mg. sodium) in my freezer. Insta-Bake is a whole wheat buttermilk baking mix similar to Bisquick, but much, much lower in sodium content and with whole wheat flour. Regular Bisquick has 490 mgs. sodium per 1/3 cup, while the Reduced Fat Bisquick has 340 mgs. sodium per 1/3 cup. I keep a box of Hodgson Mill on hand for recipes that call for a small amount of biscuit mix, mainly zucchini patties. You can find it in the health food sections of most grocery stores. One evening I followed the biscuit recipe on the back of the box. I added some thinly sliced green onions to the dough and brushed melted garlic butter on the warm biscuits for extra flavor. I followed the directions for making drop biscuits, and they turned out pretty good. A quick, wholesome, and lower sodium addition to any meal.

Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Biscuits
Makes about 10 biscuits

2 cups Insta-Bake mix
2/3 cup milk
2 tbsp. unsalted butter

Heat oven to 425°F

In medium bowl, combine Insta-Bake and butter until crumbly. Add milk and stir to make a soft dough (the whole wheat mix required adding more liquid). Drop dough by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet (I used parchment paper). Bake about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
 

Notes: I probably added about another 2-3 tablespoons of milk because of the whole wheat flour. I crushed 3 cloves garlic into 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter & let it steep before brushing on the warm biscuits right before serving.

No comments: